It’s been a long time since either Annie and I have posted on the blog. But we are back after all the holiday shenanigans – yay!
I wanted to do dedicated posts on the different things I did at the end of the year – Seattle, roadtrip from Seattle to Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Universal Studios, my coworker’s wedding, and all that jazz. However, I feel that that all happened in 2017, and I’m ready to leave 2017 behind. So this is my final post about the last bits and pieces of 2017.
My coworker’s wedding
I hadn’t been to a wedding since I was in the second grade, so I was very excited when my coworker invited me to his and also gave me a plus one! Steve (my coworker) is my pseudo-manager, and we’re quite close because he’s such a kind and easygoing guy. Before I officially joined his team at work, I was having a hard time on another team. He told his wife Kerry about my situation, and without hesitation she came to my defense and shouted, “We’re going to help her write a strongly worded letter to HR! What’s her email?” I love the both of them very much.
The world knew it was a special day because it was also the first time in the winter of 2017-2018 that it snowed.
One of my best friends, Paloma, lives in Seattle and has been asking me when I’ll move there. I visited her for a couple of days before we drove down to Los Angeles. We had to drive down to Los Angeles because her dog Kai is terrified of flights, and Paloma’s mom wanted the entire family together for the holidays. So we drove down.
It’s my second time visiting Seattle, and I don’t think I’m ready to move to Seattle just yet. Maybe I have to visit Pal a third time so Seattle and I can vibe a little more.
Roadtrip from Seattle to Los Angeles
I wanted to see what roadtripping was like because I would like to roadtrip across America one day. It is exhausting. We spent 4 days and 3 nights driving down from Seattle.
The first day we had to drive 9 hours, and was only compounded my the fact that a train derailed between Seattle and Portland and we had to take a detour that delayed us about 4 hours. We drove about 5-6 hours the following three days. Every night we would arrive at wherever we were staying and crashed.
We only got to really do one thing: check out Hearst Castle.
Do I still want to roadtrip across America? Yes. Yes I do.
It was around the time that we got back to LA that my other best friend Vaishali also came back. She spent two years in Malaysia as part of Fulbright. We spent a day chilling out and decided to check out the Infinity Mirrors exhibit at the The Broad.
I didn’t take many pictures that day, but there is a video:
My relationship with my sister is getting better as the years pass! If you knew the weird relationship I had with my sister, you’d be excited for me.
We didn’t have a fight at all this time around, and she even invited me to hang out with her and her boyfriend Jason at Universal Studios on Christmas Eve! (insert background noise Whaaaat?!)
I haven’t been to an amusement park since I was in high school. It was so much fun! We experienced Harry Potter World, Whoville, Despicable Me… Most of all, I’m happy that my sister and I are getting better every single day.
If you read my previous post on what was going on in my life, you probably figured out by now that 2017 was inexplicably rough for me. Being around my friends and family at the end of the year was good for my soul though, and I’m starting out in 2018 with lighter feet and happier thoughts.
I am focusing on three words this year:
- Openness – I consider myself a pretty open person, except I become much more defensive and guarded when it comes to meeting potential romantic partners. That’s hard, but I’m working on it.
- Intentional – This year I want to do things that (1) bring me happiness and excitement, and (2) will help my future in some shape or form. For example:
- Continue listening to podcasts because it expands my knowledge and keeps me curious.
- Build more content on my YouTube channel. I really enjoy making videos. There will be more adventures, travel, beauty, food… I’m very excited!
- Streamline and build more content on the blog – Annie and I will talk more about this in next week’s post.
- Spontaneous – I’m turning 25 this year, but I feel like I have a good head on my shoulders and have a bright future. I think I’m a fun person, but in a weird fun kind of way because I feel like I have to be a responsible person all the damn time. I want to let loose a little more this year. SO FAR: One of my roommates and I are going to take pole dancing classes. All my roommates and I are going to learn to ski next week. Eeks!
There are lots of things in store this year coming from me ~ I hope you come along for the ride!
What are you guys looking forward to this year?