We like to try new things, so in this series, we experiment and challenge ourselves to create new habits, find new hobbies, and learn more about ourselves. Check out our other challenges here.
I spent 30 days not eating dairy or potato chips. Many people claim that the hormones in milk causes their skin to produce more oils. I’m not a big milk drinker but I do enjoy yogurt and cheese. Potato chips is another food that many people, especially in Taiwan, claim to cause acne. Something about all the fatty oils going to your face.
My skin breaks out all year round but even more so during winters in Taiwan. So I tested out this hypothesis to see if I should take dairy and/or potato chips out of my diet.
Verdict: Dairy and potato chips do not affect my skin to a noticeable degree.
Here are photos of what my face looked like at the beginning of the challenge. I have oily skin with frequent breakouts, mainly around the chin area. I have a bad habit of picking at my face, which is where all the blemishes come from. (BAD HANDS!)
I am doing this challenge during the spring, where the average temperatures are 19-26° Celsius (66-79° Fahrenheit) and average humidity levels are at 78%.
My skincare routine
These are all products I’ve been using for a while now, so nothing has changed besides taking dairy and potato chips out of my diet.
- 4/6 – grew a new pimple around my chin area and I picked at it. ):
- 4/8 – I had pumpkin soup and vanilla ice-cream at a restaurant. Over the course of a few days, a few more pimples popped up on my chin. You can see in the day 10 progress photos.
- 4/17 – I had milk tea. I didn’t notice any significant changes in my face.
- 4/21 – ate tortilla chips with salsa. It was yummy. But I can’t tell if I got acne from it or just because I break out all the time.
- 4/30 – a pimple popped up on the right side of my neck, but I think that’s from the oils of my short hairs that’s still growing out from surgery.
- It’s hard to see whether my face is breaking out from the food I’m eating or it’s just my face being my face, casually growing one or two pimples every other day from who knows what…
- My blemishes under my chin have significantly lightened up! My beauty products are doing something right!
- 30 days is not enough data to 100% say that dairy products or potato chips cause acne, but I also don’t think it’s a main cause.
- I will continue to eat the same amount of dairy and potato chips as I have in the past.
- I don’t feel self-conscious about my skin despite how much acne I have, which isn’t a lot compared to other people. It doesn’t bother me until someone decides to point it out to me (UM RUDE?). And it happens a lot more often in Taiwan, so that’s annoying.
- But it’s nice when my skin clears up because I like the feeling of smooth skin. So it’s like an added sprinkle of happiness.
In the end, all that matters is to love yourself just the way you are. AND I LOVE MY FACE SO F*CK OFF.
Check out other posts in our Challenges series!